- Unable to negotiate values, there is no clear end to the protests in sight.
- Coercion of fishing boats and illegal maritime surveys are symbolic of China’s effective occupation.
- US and Chinese representatives used the Singapore meeting to present their competing regional visions.
- After a long hiatus, the Taiwan flashpoint is back on the agenda. The situation is more complex than ever.
As the US-China trade war gathers pace, both powers have been courting Europe, and especially Italy.
- Europe, China
- May 21, 2019
- Expect heightened risks of cross-strait military escalation during Taiwan’s 2020 general election.
- Despite US pressure, the Chinese telecom's 2018 revenue surpassed $100 billion for the first time.
The fresh diplomatic efforts by the region's traditional heavyweights diverge starkly on substance.
- Asia Pacific, China
- January 30, 2019
- For some states, the threat of cyber espionage may be worth the risk to improve social control.
- The ill-timed speech has revitalised the fortunes of the pro-independence party.
- Pro-independence forces have been rattled by their surprise loss in the 'midterm' local elections.
With a lot of players and not much time, concluding negotiations by 2021 is an ambitious goal.
- Southeast Asia, China
- November 16, 2018